Philip Nau CV
Summary / Background
- Systems Engineering experience including IPT Leadership & Lead Engineer:
- Successful leadership roles in both Software and Systems Engineering on numerous Government and commercial programs, accountable for all performance, technical, design, and interface requirements.
- Received a Corporate Technical Excellence Award for creating a collaborative team approach to our product release cycles, using agile concepts, successfully applied through five successive customer deliveries.
- Domain Technical Collaboration:
- Primary technical POC for all Systems Engineering collaboration activities, including UML design models and supplier interface coordination.
- Key technical focal for all program milestone events (SRRs, CDRs, TRRs), numerous TIMs and Working Group meetings with customer technical personnel and support contractors.
- Nurtured close working relationships with contractor analysts in formulating accurate and testable specification requirements to verify product operational behavior.
- Led development of an analytical model of run-time performance to validate processor and memory allocations, which led to several key architectural improvements.
- Taught in-house courses on Needs Analysis, Use Case Development, and Formulating Testable Requirements.
- Process & Environment, SEI CMMI:
- Lead role in several SEI-CMMI evaluations. Successfully represented Decision Analysis, Quantitative Management (Level 4) and Causal Analysis (Level 5) in external audits.
- Certified Control Account Manager (EVMS):
- Certified Control Account Manager, responsible for all System Engineering control accounts and planning packages, with total valuation in excess of $10M.
- Developed proposal Basis of Estimates (BOE) on numerous ECPs and new program efforts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills:
- Authored many formal technical specifications, trade studies, planning documents, and analyses in accordance with MIL- and DOD standards.
- Made numerous formal presentations to all levels of technical and program management.
Engineering Tools and Products
SE Products: DOORS, UML, IBM Rational Rose, ClearCase, ClearQuest
Content Management: Word Press, Concrete5
Development Environments: Eclipse and NetBeans IDEs
Languages: Java SE, Ada, C, Unix, shell scripts
Frameworks: SOA, DoDAF, CORBA
Program Management: Earned Value Management System (EVMS) / ARTEMIS, MSProject, CMMI
General Office: all Microsoft Office products.
2013: Literacy Tutor Certificate, San Diego Continuing Education
2003 – 2011: Multiple Lockheed Martin corporate-sponsored Systems Engineering/Architecture classes
2006 – 2008: Lockheed Martin Cost Account Manager/Earned Value Management System classes
1986 – 1999: Multiple corporate-sponsored classes in Project Management, Software Engineering, etc.
1975 – 1978: San Diego State University, graduate courses in Computer Science
1967 – 1971: University of California Berkeley/San Diego, BA Mathematics
Certifications (Lockheed Martin Corporate)
Earned Value Management System (Lockheed Martin Corporate)
Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) through Level 5
Advanced Systems Engineering
Requirements Management Using Dynamic Object Oriented Requirements System (DOORS)
Mar 2012 – Present: Seeking New Opportunities, San Diego, CA
Dec 2005 – Mar 2012: Lockheed Martin Corporation, San Diego, CA
I was Chief Systems Engineer on a Sensor Fusion program for the U.S. Army. In that capacity I was responsible for all system requirements and functional design, and the technical performance of our applications. I developed requirements using DOORS based on Defense Department specifications, and wrote DOORS scripts to manage and produce our formal documentation. I collaborated with program contractors on all systems-related matters, including interface documentation and UML design models. I was also an Integrated Product Team lead, responsible for managing technical progress and variance (EVMS) and reporting to program management.
Dec 2003 – Dec 2005: Lockheed Martin Corporation, San Diego, CA
I was Lead Systems Engineer, managing the integration of a Patriot Missile System into a significant military infrastructure upgrade for the country of Taiwan. I wrote the Source Selection Trade Study, developed requirements and interface specifications, and presented the selected upgrade concept to senior Taiwan Joint and Army Command Staff. I participated in contractor selection, and worked with Taiwan Army personnel, contractor and technical management in the successful integration of Patriot legacy communications subsystems.
Jan 2000 – Aug 2003: GE Retail Systems, San Diego, CA
I was a Lead Software Developer for a commercial supply chain management system using Java/J2EE technologies. I was also a developer for a retail point-of-sale system using Java GUI tools (Swing, Servlets, JSP) and XSL/XSLT for document generation and transformation.
Feb 1995 – Dec 1999: Independent contractor to Lockheed Martin Corporation, Fairfax, VA
I was the Lead Software Developer on a Command and Control System for the U.S. Army, responsible for the software that allows command staff to perform force mobilization and deployment analysis. I designed and implemented significant portions of these applications using PowerBuilder client/server running on Unix platforms. I also supported successful roll-out of these capabilities to the USARFOR European Command.
Feb 1986 – Jan 1995: TRW, Fairfax, VA
I was the Lead Software Engineer for a software configuration control and tracking application that was used to manage all modules of a classified multi-site software development program.
I was the Sub-Program Manager responsible for successful delivery of a collection of software tools used by developers of the Ada Language System/Navy program.
Aug 1984 – Feb 1986: Martin Marietta Corporation, Washington, D.C.
I was a Systems Engineer on an upgrade of the FAA Air Route Traffic Control Center (ARTCC) System. I was a member of the Host System upgrade vendor selection team, and supported transition of FAA mainframe software to new hardware platforms.
Apr 1981 – Aug 1984: Martin Marietta Corporation, Denver, CO
I was the Lead Software Developer for the Man-Machine Interface component of a Simulation/Training system for the U.S. Air Force.
Lockheed Martin Corporate Technical Excellence Award (2008)
3 Special Recognition Awards (2007, 2008, 2009)
DoD Top Secret (through March 2012)
Granted TS/SCI clearance 1992; debriefed 1994.
Click to Download PVN-RESUME.DOC